Class 1: An Introduction to the Anglican Way
Teacher: Paul Julienne (email: email@example.com)
Class material at this page: https://pjulienne.org/anglican-essentials/
This course provides a brief survey of Anglican history, belief, and worship. The course is designed for newcomers to Truro Church, persons new to Anglican worship, and to anyone wishing to refresh their knowledge of what it means to be Anglican.
The course objectives are:
1. To introduce the learner to our Anglican heritage. 2. To acquaint the learner with Anglican core beliefs. 3. To familiarize the learner with Anglican worship and liturgy 4. To encourage an ethos of Anglican spirituality among the learners.
Anglican Christianity derives from Christianity as it developed in England, continued after the English Reformation, and was carried to America and later around the world by missionaries. It has a distinctive identity with both Protestant and Catholic elements.
Classes are Monday evenings starting at 7:30 PM. A Zoom link will be provided to registrants. Winter 2022 classes start Monday, January 10, continuing January 17, 24, and 31.
Class 1. The Anglican place in the Christian story and around the world today.
Class 2. Anglican worship and belief: The Book of Common Prayer.
Class 3. Anglican spirituality. How do Anglicans practice the Christian faith?
Class 4. Anglican liturgy: a sample session of Prayer Book liturgy.
- Some basic resources (Bible and Book of Common Prayer links are free):
- Holy Bible online at Biblehub.com, all versions available. Click on a version and enter a book or verse reference.
- The Book of Common Prayer
- Episcopal, 1979 Version (online version)(pdf version).
- Anglican Church in North America, 2019 version (pdf ). A bookmarked version for easier use is at this link.
- Online daily readings with Morning and Evening Prayer, 1979 Version (click on image to go to daily readings).
- Online daily readings with Morning and Evening Prayer, 2019 Version (click on “Calendar” to get daily readings)).
- Our Anglican Heritage, Second Edition, by John W. Howe (former Truro Rector, retired Episcopal bishop, and current member of the Anglican Church in North America.).
- The Anglican Way: A Guidebook, by Thomas McKenzie provides a more recent introduction to Anglicanism.
- To Be a Christian: An Anglican Catechism, from the Anglican Church in North America.
Link to the sequel classes called “Anglican Essentials: Going Deeper.“